Dear Students and Families,
I hope everyone had a restful and relaxing summer! On behalf of the staff at Murry Bergtraum High School for Business Careers (MBHS), I am happy to welcome you and your child to the 2017-2018 school year!
This year, we will invest time to meet with students and families because we believe that collaboration between school staff and families will make a significant impact on our students as they prepare for college and careers. There are several ways for families to be involved:
• School Leadership Team meetings are held the third Wednesday of every month at 5:00 PM
• Parent Associate meetings are held the third Wednesday of every month at 6:00 PM.
• The first of four Parent Teacher Conferences will be held on Thursday, September 28, 2017 from 5:00 PM to 8:00 PM.
On the other side of this letter you will find our school expectations, policies and tentative school calendar. It is important that you and your child are fully informed. Please take the time and review this document to ensure that we are off to a safe and productive school year. If you have any questions about the expectations and calendar, please feel free to contact me at email@example.com
or (212) 964-9610. I am happy to announce that we have a new website to kick off the 2017-2018 school year. Please go to http://www.mbhsnyc.com
to get the most up-to-date information on the MBHS community!
Please fill out all school documents that your child received on the first day of school. These items need to be returned to the Parent Coordinator, Ms. Munoz in room 135 as soon as possible. Students who return their folders by Friday, September 15, 2017 will receive a special MBHS incentive. Families are encouraged to apply for school lunch online using the following website, https://www.applyforlunch.com/Application.
I welcome you to a successful start of the school year!
Naima J. Cook Principal
2017-2018 Student Expectations, Policies and School Calendar
• Arrival and Dismissal:
- Students are expected to arrive to school on time and prepared with their necessary class materials. Students may begin to enter the building at 7:30 AM for a well-balanced breakfast. Breakfast is served from 7:30 AM to 8:05 AM daily.
- Mondays and Tuesdays school begins promptly at 8:20 AM; school dismissal is at 2:40 PM.
- Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays school begins promptly at 9:08 AM; school dismissal is at 3:28 PM.
- Lunch is served from 12:19 AM to 1:00 PM.
- All students are expected to enter and leave through the main entrance at exit C.
• Dress Code:
- The following items are considered inappropriate:
- Pants that are sagging (pants must be worn at the waist and not expose underwear.)
- Hats, skullies or do-rags.
- Shirts with inappropriate text or pictures.
- Spaghetti strap tank tops.
- Low cut or midriff shirts.
- Any top that exposes the torso.
- Mini-skirts or extremely short shorts.
- Spandex pants unless accompanied by a long shirt.
- Anything see-through.
• Electronics Policy:
- Students may not use their electronics devices at Murry Bergtraum High School during the course of the academic day. Effective September 2017 students that do not abide by the phone policy will have their phone confiscated and will have to pick it up at the end of the day from the dean’s office; repeat offenders will result in phone getting confiscated and held until a parent or guardian comes to pick up the phone.
• Upcoming Calendar Reminders (please note some dates may change):
- First day of Classes: Thursday, September 7, 2017
- No Classes for Students: 9/21-9/22/17, 10/9/17, 11/7/17, 11/23-11/24/17, 12/25-1/1/18,1/15/18, 1/22-1/25/18, 2/16-2/23/18,3/30-4/6/18,5/28/18, 6/7/18, 6/15/18 and 6/22/18
- Regents Week: January 1/22/18 -1/25/18 and June 6/12/18 - 6/22/18
- Last Day of Regular Classes: 6/13/18
- Parent Teacher Conferences: 9/28/17 (5:00-8:00PM), 11/9/17 (5:00-8:00PM), 11/10/17 (12:30- 2:30PM), 3/8/18(5:00-8:00PM), 3/9/18 (12:30-2:30PM) and 5/3/18 (5:00-8:00PM)